5 “Green” tips for a Healthy Home and a Healthy Baby
"Green" is a modern day, catchall word for making the best, healthiest choices for your home and nursery. Deciphering the real meaning of "Green" can be daunting. The truth is, there are some basic, practical "Green" rules of thumb you can follow. Here are a 5 of them:
1. Stay away from harsh chemical fumes during and after your pregnancy - and keep your baby away from them too. House paints, for example, are something you may not think of, but they may contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs), the toxic fumes that off-gas. Use low or no VOC paints and make sure your home and nursery are well-ventilated.
2. Choose a “Green” crib and nursery furniture. Young America has this category covered in three important ways. First, Young America cribs and nursery furniture are made in the USA, so our products have a much smaller carbon footprint than their imported counterparts. Second, our furniture is GREENGUARD certified to minimize indoor air pollution. Third, we offer furniture that’s Built To Grow for longevity and sustainability. Bottom line: Young America nursery furniture is a “Green” choice. It’s local, non-toxic, and will not end up in a landfill any time soon.
3. Allow a new crib mattress to air out (off-gas) before your baby sleeps on it. This important step will help release toxic fumes and prevent allergy symptoms ranging from puffy, red, and watery eyes to a runny nose, congestion, coughing, and asthma-like symptoms. Off-gassing can also cause skin irritations like rashes, itchiness, and hives. Choose bedding that has NOT been treated with polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs). These chemical fire retardants accumulate in our bodies and have been shown to affect human health adversely.
Greenguard Certified Baby Cribs are Best for Infants and Young Children
All Young America furniture’s baby cribs are GREENGUARD Certified in effort to provide the safest environment for your baby and young child. Young America furniture baby cribs and other products that receive the GREENGUARD Children and SchoolsSM certified mark have been independently tested and meet the most rigorous chemical emissions standards in the world.
Read more about GREENGUARD Certification
View Young America Baby Cribs
Children are more susceptible to pollutants than adults because they are growing and breathe in proportionately more air. This means indoor pollutants, such as certain chemicals, particles and allergens, can cause more severe health effects in children.
Facts You Should Know
- Children breathe in a greater volume of air than adults relative to their body size.
- Children’s organs and respiratory, immune and neurological systems are still developing.
- Children are much closer to the ground, and as a result, breathe in more of the heavier airborne chemicals than do adults.
- Infants and young children breathe through their mouths, more so than do adults, which increases their risk of pulmonary exposure to particulates and fibers, that would otherwise be filtered out in the nose.
- Children have a higher heart rate than adults, which allows substances that are absorbed into the blood to permeate tissues faster.
A Young America furniture GREENGUARD certified baby crib is part of a healthy nursery for your child.