DIY Craft Idea: Soccer Ball Hanging Lanterns
We fell in love with this idea! Simple round shapes suspended in the air are playful, sporty and fun to see. Create a traditional soccer ball pattern with colored opaque or translucent hexagons on a white paper lantern. If you’re feeling ambitious, you can try something a little more FIFA World Cup.
Here’s what you need:
1. White paper lanterns: 20”, 18”, 16” or 14” diameter
2. Fade-resistant, stiff opaque paper or tissue paper hexagon and/or pentagons
3. Masking tape for opaque paper and Mod Podge with a glossy finish and a soft paint brush for tissue paper.
3 Steps to a Soccer Ball Hanging Lantern:
1. Create a simple hexagon template to trace and cut out in your favorite team (or room) color. Fade-resistant, somewhat stiff opaque paper is preferable for the look shown above. You can also use translucent tissue paper to allow light through.
Soccer Ball Hexagon-Spacing Tip: for the most “realistic” traditional soccer ball look, cut out a set of 3 pentagons in the same scale as your hexagons. Use these to help with spacing of the hexagon shapes. Each hexagon on a traditional soccer ball touches 3 pentagons. How’s that for a math challenge? Of course, you can just eyeball it!
2. Make small masking tape loops and stick it on the back side of each opaque paper hexagon shape or paint a little spot of Mod Podge on a tissue paper shape and press it gently on with your finger. For opaque paper, you are done. For tissue paper, paint a second lighter coat on top to seal the shapes completely. Repeat around the lantern until you are happy with your composition and the shapes are adhered securely.
3. Make one or more soccer ball lanterns. Let them dry. Hang them in your child’s room or wrap one up for a unique gift. Mix it up with some solid lanterns in complementary colors. Try other balls too: baseballs, tennis balls, softballs, etc. ENJOY!
You’ll find this craft in our new Young America Harbor Town collection Design Guide.