DIY Craft: Bohemian-inspired Trays for a Teen Girl’s Room
Bohemian influences are everywhere right now, in interior design and fashion. Boho is all about looking individual and natural with splashes of colors like orange, green, and magenta. So in keeping with the trend, we created a boho-inspired bedroom, perfect for a tween or teen girl.
We mixed patterns and textures with some global, Moroccan influences…
Shown above: Crosspointe Beacon Bed, 2 Drawer Night Stand, Single Dresser and Mirror.
We then created some beautiful DIY boho chic trays as decorative accessories for our bohemian-themed bedroom.
To craft our trays, we first went thrift shopping around town. We found a great mix of metal and wooden trays, perfect for re-inventing…
Then, we searched for art papers with bold color and rich, globally-inspired patterns. We struck gold at World Market with their beautiful gift wrap paper …
Finally, with a little Mod Podge, time and creativity, we made some one-of-a-kind trays.
Here are a few images of our final works of art…
Here’s a quick step-by-step to our DIY Mod Podge bohemian trays:
1. Collect trays from flea markets, thrift stores or your grandmother’s attic… or re-purpose one you already have.
2. Wipe tray clean and give it a fresh coat of spray or brush-on paint if you want to show edges. We chose a champagne-colored spray paint for ours.
3. Select your art paper and cut it to size; we used a combination of an x-acto knife and scissors to get clean lines. If you use fabric, allow an extra inch for shrinkage.
4. Apply a thick, even coat of matte finish (glossy is available too) Mod Podge onto surface where you intend to place the paper. Visit modpodgerocks for great pointers for your project.
5. Place paper on top of Mod Podge and smooth out by hand or use a tool like a brayer (hand roller) to avoid any bubbles. Good quality paper makes this job easier. When the paper is positioned and smooth, allow to dry.
6. Once paper is affixed and amply dry, apply an even coat of Mod Podge on top of the paper to seal and give it a polished finish. We brushed on several layers for a finished sealed result. For our second tray we layered the papers in a collage format to cover the tray completely.
7. Tweens and teens will enjoy these bohemian trays for organizing all kinds of items, from perfumes and jewelry for a dresser…
…to pencils, trinkets and paperclips for a desk workspace…
Boho is colors galore. Notice how we layered-in bright colors, ethnic decor, collections of colored glass and candlesticks to give the room an eclectic vibe.
Share this DIY craft with your tween or teen daughter(s) and their friends… they may want to make the trays themselves. And there are limitless other objects (boxes, notebooks, binders, mirrors, lampshades) to decorate with this unique style. Great as gifts too… please share your ideas.
Posted by prborrelli